WHY KOLKALTA IS SO FAMOUS IN INDIA
kolkata is also referred as Calcutta the official name until 2001) is that the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal . Located on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River,
the town is approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) west of the border with Bangladesh.
it’s the first business, commercial, and financial hub of Eastern India and therefore the main port of communication for North-East India, also as having the third-largest urban economy of India.
Kolkata is home to 9,600 millionaires and 4 billionaires with a complete wealth of $290 billion.consistent with the 2011 Indian census,
Kolkata is that the seventh-most populous city in India, with a population of 4.5 million residents within the town limits, and a population of over 14.1 million residents within the Kolkata Metropolitan Area,
making it the third-most populous metropolitan area in India. The Port of Kolkata is India’s oldest operating port and its sole major riverine port. Kolkata is understood because the “cultural capital of India” for the city’s historical and architectural significance.
The city’s former name, Calcutta, is an Anglicized version of the Bengali name Kalikata. consistent with some, Kalikata springs from the Bengali word Kalikshetra, meaning “Ground of (the goddess) Kali.”
Some say the city’s name derives from the situation of its original settlement on the bank of a canal (khal). a 3rd opinion traces it to the Bengali words for lime (calcium oxide; kali) and burnt shell (kata), since the world was noted for the manufacture of shell lime.
In 2001 the govt of West Bengal officially changed the name of the town to Kolkata. Area city, 40 square miles (104 square km); urban agglom., 533 square miles (1,380 square km). Pop. (2011) 4,486,679; urban agglom.
Best Places To Visit In Kolkata
1 Victoria Memorial:- The memorial is surrounded by a lush green and well-maintained garden, which spreads over 64 acres and has numerous statues and sculptures in it. A sixteen-foot tall bronze statue of victory, mounted on ball bearings at the highest of the memorial, serves to heighten the general appeal and grandeur of the whole complex. Victoria Memorial is breathtaking and marvellous, especially in the dark , when it’s illuminated. The Sound and lightweight shows that happen within the evening are another delight, and a requirement watch. beat all, the place may be a must visit for people to wish to relive the essence of the Victorian era within the modern-day world.
2. Belur Math:- It is a pilgrimage place in Kolkata that’s popular worldwide. Here, people from every country come to experience peace and luxuriate in the tranquility that’s available during this environment. The temple is made very beautifully, skillfully and artistically that speaks out the guts of the Ramakrishna Movement. It also consists of a museum that you simply can visit for extra delight. Take a tour to Belur Math, a headquarter of Ramakrishna Math and Mission to seek out inner peace.
3. Mother Teresa’s Mother House:- Mother Teresa is very regarded for founding the Missionaries of Charity and devoting her life to helping ill and outcast people in Kolkata. Visit the Mother House to ascertain her tomb, the bedroom where she lived, and alittle museum dedicated to showcasing her life. It displays items like her handwritten letters, spiritual exhortations, and private belongings including saris, sandals, and crucifix. The Mother home is an area of silence and contemplation. many of us prefer to meditate there while visiting due to its serene, uplifting energy. Opening hours are 8 a.m. until noon and three p.m. until 6 p.m. daily except Thursday, August 22, Easter Monday, and December 26.
4. Marble Palace:- Marble Palace is an incredibly magnificent maisonette located in Kolkata, along the Babu street, India. together can rightly guess, the palace is among the few remaining buildings of the nineteenth century. inbuilt neoclassical style, the mansion continues to be the residence of the heirs of the King. to offer you a scenic background of the mansion, it’s surrounded by lush green lawns and delightful fountains. Galleries run amidst the lawns of the mansion which display artistic statues, portraits, mirrors, chandeliers and paintings created by English, Dutch and Italian artists. it’s going to interest you to understand that the mansion also houses a personal zoo.
5. Science City:- It is a serious attraction for the residents of Kolkata also as for the people visiting Kolkata. it’s one among the best and therefore the largest science museums within the world and provides a fun way of learning science. Under the National Council of Science Museums, the Science City in Kolkata is that the largest science center within the entire Indian Subcontinent. it’s a governmental organization under the Ministry of Culture and therefore the main motto of the Science City was the popularization of science. it’s located at the crossing of the EM Bypass and therefore the JBS Halder Avenue in Kolkata. The ground floor of the science city comprises of some optical illusions which are very interesting to seem at. it’s always such a lot fun to observe yourself taking a spread of shapes ahead of the optical mirrors. the town is found on the crossing of Eastern Bypass and Park Circus at Kolkata and will be a sure shot stop on your trip to Kolkata.
Famous food with their Resturants
- Macher Jhol – Exclusive Fish Curry
- Kolkata Biryani – Finely Flavoured Rice
- Kosha Mangsho – Special Mutton Curry
- Alur Torkari With Luchi – Kolkata Style Aloo Poori
- Shukto – Bowl Of Veggies
- Chelo Kebab – Unique Platter
- Mochar Ghonto – Flavorsome Bites
- Katla Kalia – Traditional Delicacy
- Macher Muri Ghonto – Bowl For Health
- Aloo Posto – For Potato Lovers
- Phuchka – Cute Paani Puri
- Telebhaja – Perfect Snack
- Jhalmuri – Healthy Munchings
- Chop – Spicy Cutlets
- Kathi Rolls – World Famous Wraps
- Roshogullas – Sweet Tooth Love
- Sandesh – Mandatory Bites
- Chom Chom – Delicious Amalgamation
- Mishti Doi – Fermented Sweet Yogurt
- Patisapta – Festive Delights
HOW TO REACH KOLKATA
By air: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport or Kolkata Airport at Dumdum is among the busiest airports in the country in terms of overall passenger traffic. Spread across an area of 2,460 acres, the airport has all the latest facilities. There are three terminals here, namely domestic, international and cargo and flights are available for all the major Indian and international destinations.
By road: One also can reach Kolkata via well-maintained national highways and other motorable roads. The buses managed by the West Bengal state allow tourists to go to this lovely city with none hassle. Besides, there are variety of personal buses too that one can take from Puri (495 km) and Darjeeling (620 km) to succeed in Kolkata. From Darjeeling, one can take NH 34 and NH 31 route to succeed in here. Besides, NH 2 and NH 6 link the town with other prime Indian cities and towns.
By train: Howrah and Sealdah railway stations are the two main railheads, serving the city of Kolkata. Both the railways stations are well linked to all the important cities in the country making it easy for travelers. From Delhi, several superfast trains like Rajdhani Express and Shatabdi Express operate.