Introduction of Darjeeling
Darjeeling is that the headquarters of the Darjeeling district which features a partially autonomous status called Gorkhaland Territorial Administration within the state of West Bengal . it’s also a well-liked tourist destination in India.
History of Darjeeling
King Edward VII took over British empire after.
The name ‘Darjeeling’came from the Tibetan words,’dorje’meaning thunderbolt (originally the scepter of Indra) and ‘ling’a place or land, hence ‘the land of the thunderbolt’. A land-mark year within the History of Darjeeling was 1835, but it might be appropriate to trace its History before that. before its acquisition by the Malay Archipelago Co. in 1835, Darjeeling formed a neighborhood of Sikkim and for a quick period of Nepal. However neither the history of Sikkim, nor the history of Nepal furnish any account of its early history.
Previously Darjeeling formed a neighborhood of dominions of the Raja of Sikkim, who had been engaged in an unsuccessful warfare against the Gorkhas.From 1780 the Gorkhas constantly made inroads into Sikkim and by the start of 19th Century, that they had overrun Sikkim as far eastward because the Teesta and had conquered and annexed the Terai. E.C.Dozey in his ‘Darjeeling Past and Present’, writes, ‘Prior to the year 1816, the entire the territory referred to as British Sikkim.
Best Place Visit in Darjeeling
1. Darjeeling Himalayan Railway:- One of the foremost popular places to go to in Darjeeling, DHR is approximately a 2 feet railroad track train track that covers the space between New Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling. This 88-km long railway track is best known for its toy train which gushes amid the misty hill side and offers absolutely gorgeous views of the valley. The construction of this historic railways began in 1879 and took about two years for it to be finished. For its significance as a well-liked tourist spot, it had been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. The ride within the toy train of Himalayan Railways Station is both adventurous also relaxing in nature.
2. Tiger Hill:- Lying at an altitude of 2590 meters and a distance of 13 kilometres faraway from the Darjeeling, Tiger Hill is most famous for its splendid sights of sunrise from where you’ll see the peaks of Kanchenjunga illuminate before the sun is seen at lower elevations. The magnificent view of snow-capped mountains sitting amidst cotton clouds attracts tourists to Tiger Hill from everywhere the country. Interestingly, this is often also the summit of Ghoom, which is that the highest railroad station within the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The best time to go to Tiger Hill is usually round the months of October, November and December in winter and February to April in Autumn.
3. Batasia Loop:- Batasia Loop may be a lush green toy train pathway that’s always incomparable in terms of attraction. Located on NH55, you’ve got many panoramic views to enjoy here. The Pathway is present in Ghoom, which is 5 KM faraway from Darjeeling. the aim of making this pathway is to supply easy navigation round the terrain of Darjeeling. Visiting this pathway, you’ll like seeing many green beauty, the snowy white peak of Kanchenjunga, and additionally to all or any this, it’s really great to enjoy the Sunrise of Tiger Hill. In one word, you’ll say that the place is beat one pack of comfortable travel, and delight . Therefore, it always gives you the simplest travel experience. It is recommended to go to the Loop after witnessing the sunrise at Tiger Hill. this is often because the carpet of flowers that results in Batasia Loop is sort of splendorous, especially to the eyes that have witnessed the foremost beautiful sunrise ever. Additionally, the spiral railway track may be a sight to behold for dreamers and artists. the whole scenery of the place often inspires people to make an art of their own.
4. Sandakphu Trek:- If we’ve led you into believing that Darjeeling is only a touristy place, that’s faraway from the reality . because of the position of Darjeeling in Himalayan foothills, there are variety of fantastic trekking trails you’ll find round the city; Sandakphu being one among the favored ones. it’s a moderate level trek that takes you thru some extremely scenic landscapes until you finally reach Sandakphu at 11,929 feet. This is probably the simplest trek you’ll undertake within the region if you’re an experienced trekker. Sandakphu is that the highest peak in West Bengal , so you’ll imagine the grand views of the grandest Himalayan mountains you’ll witness from here. Sandakphu Trek is an ultimate dose of thrill and amusement.
5. Darjeeling Ropeway:- This is a method you’ll be a part of special diverse offerings from the character and every one in one place. From the ropeway of Darjeeling which is additionally referred to as the Rangeet Valley Passenger car , you’ll have incredibly view of the valley below, see the spread of lush tea gardens, dense forests, mountain streams in their full flow, waterfalls, and therefore the awesome snow peaks at the background. Get off at a lower station and luxuriate in the tea estates, rehearse the tea gardens, or simply relax and luxuriate in the view around. It’s hard to seek out of these together in one place.
6. Rock Garden & Ganga Maya Park:- This popular picnic spot is one among the foremost beautiful places to go to in Darjeeling. Basically, it’s a man-made garden whose beauty is accentuated by waterfalls, lush green hill side and flora and fauna. Rock Garden is amongst the foremost frequently visited tourist attractions in Darjeeling for the rationale that there are many activities to try to to together with your family and friends. Its Chunar waterfall may be a natural cascade that draws tons of tourists who are fascinated to ascertain it in its divine flow. Additionally, a mountain stream meandering through the Garden also makes people soak within the good vibes of the place. aside from it, the place is lush with green trees and vibrant flowers during the summer season, making it the simplest time to go to the Garden.
7. Bengal Natural History Museum:- Home to unique and large collection of specimens that has wide sorts of skulls of animals, Bengal explanation Museum has different sort of horns of deers, head mounts of the many animals fixed on the walls like Yak, ounce , Hog deer, Samber Deer, Black Buck and lots of more, skins of the many reptiles and large cats, and literally, all the animals you’ll consider you’ll find here. The Museum has smartly designed floors to display of these different species of mammals, cats, birds, and insects. This museum is one among its kind within the whole Darjeeling. The museum was initially erected to exhibit the Birds and Butterflies of the region during a small building. Today preserved remains of the reptiles, insects, fishes, bird species, and mammals are presented during a replication of their natural environments. a gorgeous display of the varied metals of the region is present here also . There are two divisions at the museum, one at the bottom level and therefore the other within the footing. The insects’ museum features a wide collection of butterflies, moths, dragonflies, and beetles. The museum also features a small library where one might find many desirable books, including the 125 volume set titled The fauna of British India. While in Darjeeling you want to visit the Museum for knowledge about the animals and insects of the region.
Top Famous Food in Darjeeling
- Sel Roti.
- Pork Curry.
- Tibetan Thukpa.
- Aaloo Tama.
- Dal Bhat.
How To Reach Darjeeling
By Rail:- The nearest railroad station to Darjeeling is New Jalpaiguri which connects the town with all the main parts of the country. There are variety of trains from cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Guwahati, Chennai, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar and Kochi. People can hire private cabs from the station to succeed in Darjeeling.
By Road:- Darjeeling is well connected to a number of the main cities closeby like Gangtok and Kalimpong which are located at a distance of 100 km and 51 km respectively. the town is additionally connected with Kolkata which is 651 km away and it takes around 14 hours to succeed in here. The capital city of Nepal, Kathmandu is simply 310 KM faraway from this beautiful place. From the airport, one can reach the town by Bus or Cab.
By Air:- The nearest airport to Darjeeling is Bagdogra which is approximately 95 km faraway from the town . There are some direct flights from the cities like Kolkata, Delhi and Guwahati to Darjeeling. From the airport, one can reach the town by hiring taxis. it’ll take almost 3 hours to succeed in Darjeeling from the airport. Flights are available from all major cities.