Introduction of Lakshadweep Islands
India’s smallest Union Territory Lakshadweep is an archipelago consisting of 36 islands with a neighborhood of 32 sq km. it’s a uni-district Union Territory and is comprised of 12 atolls, three reefs, five submerged banks and ten inhabited islands. The islands comprise of 32 sq km.
India’s smallest Union Territory Lakshadweep is an archipelago consisting of 36 islands with a neighborhood of 32 sq km. it’s a uni-district Union Territory and is comprised of 12 atolls, three reefs, five submerged banks and ten inhabited islands. The islands comprise of 32 sq km. The capital is Kavaratti and it’s also the principal town of the UT. All Islands are 220 to 440 km faraway from the coastal city of Kochi in Kerala, within the emerald Arabian Sea . The natural landscapes, the sandy beaches, abundance of flora and fauna and therefore the absence of a rushed lifestyle enhance the mystique of Lakshadweep Islands.
The islands are well connected by regular flights from Kochi. Helicopter transfer is out there from Agatti to Kavaratti throughout the year. Lakshadweep features a tropical climate and it’s a mean temperature of 27° C – 32° C. April and should are the most well liked with a mean temperature of 32° C Generally the climate is humid warm and pleasant. because the climate is equitable during monsoons, ship-based tourism is closed. October to March is that the ideal time to get on the islands. From June to October the South West Monsoon is active with a mean rainfall of 10-40 mm. The ratio is 70-75%. Annual rainfall decreases from South to North. On a mean , 80-90 days a year are rainy. Winds are light to moderate from October to March.
Places to Visit in Lakshadweep
1. Minicoy Island:- One of the 36 small islets of Lakshadweep group of Islands, Minicoy, also referred to as Maliku within the local language is one among the best-kept secrets of India. it’s located amidst the vast expanse of Arabian Sea , just 398 km or 215 nautical miles from the shores of Cochin. This picturesque destination may be a popular tourist spot and has gained immense popularity thanks to activities like tuna canning, tuna fishing and therefore the presence of pristine palm-fringed beaches. Tourists can enjoy a number of the foremost memorable moments here during winters and therefore the onset of summer, because the weather here is right during those months.
2. Agatti Island:- Agatti has one among the foremost beautiful lagoons in Lakshadweep. The airport is made on this island. From the aircraft, together approaches for a landing, one gets a breath-taking view of the airstrip on the island. Agatti is that the virtual gateway to the islands. A 20-bed tourist complex with all modern amenities has been found out here. Indian Airlines operate flight to Agatti making it one among the foremost accessible islands in Lakshadweep.
3. Bangaram Island:- Bangaram Island may be a beautiful tiny island within the Union Territory of Lakshadweep, India. The Bangaram Island encompasses a neighborhood of 1.234 km2 and is that the largest island within the chain of islands within the region (also referred to as an atoll) with a gorgeous lagoon. With a population of only 10 and only one beach resort, it’s an apt destination for people that want to disconnect entirely from the fast-paced world. The people that reside on the Island are those that employment at the resort that’s open for travellers. the tiny area and fewer population provides a sense of being on a personal island. The sunrises and sunsets are a treat to the eyes by the sparkling beach, and a variety of activities to enjoys makes the stay worthwhile, but albeit you select only to laze around, the serene beach of Bangaram Island should get on your bucket list.
4. Kadmat Island:- Another one among the favored Lakshadweep tourist places is Kadmat Island. This coral island features a vibrant marine life. The island is scarcely populated and makes for an excellent quiet getaway. Since it’s rich in marine life, the first source of income here is fishing; it’s also an excellent spot to undertake a number of the locally cooked catch. This island is legendary for snorkeling and deep-sea diving. A Water Sports Institute functions on the island. Marine Wealth Awareness Package allows to spend 2-4 days on the island enjoying the rich bounty of nature. Kadmat has emerged together of the foremost beautiful dive centers in India. sort of fishes like rays, sharks, and clear water with 20-50 meter visibility makes it an unparalleled dive destination for scuba divers. Mumbai operates a full-fledged skin diving center at Kadmat. Non Indians also are permitted to go to this island.
5. Kavaratti Island:- The white sand and delightful sunsets make this island one among the simplest places to ascertain in Lakshadweep. This peaceful lagoon features a surprising amount of greenery and plantations. Kavaratti is that the ideal getaway for nature lovers. Each year, the town attracts many foreign tourists who just sit back and luxuriate in the scenery.
Location: Kavaratti 682555
Entry fee: No entry fee
Things To Do: Nature walks, Take a soothing walk on the beaches
Ideal For: Families, Solo Travelers
6. Kalpeni :- Kalpeni along side two small islets of Tilakkam and Pitti and therefore the uninhabited island of Cheriyam within the north form one atoll. A peculiar feature of Kalpeni may be a huge storm bank of coral debris along its eastern and southeastern shorelines. it’s believed that a storm in 1847 threw up huge coral boulders along these shores. it’s a socially progressive island and it had been here that girls first visited school when women’s education was considered taboo. One can swim, snorkel or reef-walk within the vast lagoon and enjoys water sports on kayaks, sailboats and pedal boats. Two bathing huts with change rooms are available at Koomel Beach. Visit to Kalpeni is a component of reef package.
Famous street food of Lakshadweep Islands
- Octopus Fry
- Mus Kavaab
- Fish Tikka
- Fish Pakora
- Maasu Podichath.
How to Reach in Lakshadweep Islands
Lakshadweep Island are often reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi. For all tourist purposes Kochi is that the gate thanks to Lakshadweep.
Agatti and Bangaram islands are often reached by flight from Kochi. Indian Airlines operate flights from Kochi. Onward flights from Kochi are available to most of the airports in India and abroad. Airstrip is there in Agatti island only. From Agatti boats are available to Kavaratti and Kadmat during fair season October to May. Helicopter transfer is out there from Agatti to Kavaratti during monsoon season subjected to availability of helicopter. The flight from Cochin to Agatti takes approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
Seven passenger ships – MV Kavaratti, MV Arabian Sea , MV Lakshadweep Sea, MV Lagoon, MV Corals, MV Amindivi and MV Minicoy operate between Cochin and Lakshadweep islands. The passage takes 14 to 18 hours counting on island chosen for journey. The ships offer different classes of accommodation: A/C first-class with two berth cabins, A/C Secound Class with four berth cabins and push back/Bunk Class with A/C seating. A doctor is out there on turn board. MV Amindivi and MV Minicoy also offer comfortable A/C seating ideal for a night’s journey. During fair season, high speed vessels operate between islands.